Windows of the Soul explores the stained glass windows of the Briarcliff Congregational Church.
The Briarcliff Congregational Church (BCC) is endowed with many wonderful gifts both spiritual and material. One of the church’s priceless treasures is its collection of stained-glass windows, spanning more than 100 years of stained-glass art. All the windows were donated as memorial gifts, a tradition started by the church’s benefactor, Walter W. Law. Most represent specific biblical stories; some show historic persons; one or two allow the viewer’s imagination to have a go; others’ symbolism have multiple interpretations. All are beautiful to see; all change as the light moves with the day. The windows at The Briarcliff Congregational Church are also a reflection of the history, life, and traditions of the church as well as that of the community.
There are 17 stained glass windows in all, representing several well-known studios and decorative arts companies: J&R Lamb, NY; William C. Willett, Philadelphia; John Hardman Studios, Birmingham and London; Woodhaven Studios, Bermuda. Perhaps the most well-known among these is Tiffany Studios. BCC has 7 magnificent Tiffany windows, installed between 1898 and 1906.
“Windows of the Soul” briefly explores 10 of these magnificent windows: their art, history, biblical reference, and meaning.